Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mark

Male
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: seasearch   Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:03 am

Hi all,

I have been asked to circulate this letter.

Dear Diver,

I'm contacting you regarding Seasearch, a UK wide conservation project. We need your help. Seasearch is a national project which has been going for four years in Northern Ireland, we have over 130 volunteers who take part in the project and collect on average 100 site records per year. We are hoping that 2008 is going to be even more successful and are aiming to survey more sites and collect more records, but to do this we need more volunteers to take part in the project. Seasearch data is vitally important for marine conservation – for many areas it is the only recent information on underwater species and habitats. Can you help, or do you know of other divers that might be interested?

What is Seasearch? Seasearch is a national project for volunteer sports divers who have an interest in what they're seeing under water, want to learn more and want to help protect the marine environment. Seasearch surveys aim to help map the seabed and marine life around the UK. Seasearch Northern Ireland is the Northern Ireland branch of the project. We need records from all areas of Northern Ireland so, wherever you dive, you can take part. You don't need any experience of marine biology to take part in the project but we do ask that all divers are qualified to at least BSAC sports diver, PADI Advanced Open Water or equivalent.

What's in it for me?

• Training on marine life and survey techniques, find out more about marine species and start to recognise more of what you see underwater. An understanding of marine life will add interest and excitement to your dives. All training needed is provided by our experienced tutors.

• The chance to dive new sites. Fed up of diving the same old wrecks? Dive new sites to record marine life, either with your club or on one of our organised dives.

• Meet other divers. Everyone is welcome to take part in Seasearch, meet other divers with similar interests.

• And of course, the knowledge that you are helping to protect our marine life.

Where can I find out more?

• Look on our webpages www.seasearch.co.uk/northernireland

• Contact me by phone, email or post, details above.

• I can come and give a talk at your club, if you have several divers who are interested this is a good way to find out more about the project.

Please consider taking part. Seasearch records from recreational divers make a big difference to how much we know about our marine life. We have managed to get more information on rare species, and records have led to the protection of some very important marine sites. However, there is still much more to learn…which is where you come in! Best wishes,

Claire Goodwin

Seasearch Northern Ireland coordinator

Dr. Claire Goodwin

Co-ordinator Seasearch Northern Ireland,

12 Broomhill Park,

Bangor,

Northern Ireland,

BT20 5QZ

Phone: 07786 356099

www.seasearch.co.uk/northernireland
Back to top Go down
http://www.southcoastdivers.net